We are intensifying our search for land.
We know the area we want to buy in, we know the general amount of acreage we want.
We KNOW everything we want.
Problem is finding it!
Our *must have* list drives realtors crazy, lol!
1) Two sources of water on property. A well and a spring or a stream and a well or a pond and a stream, etc.And the water sources can NOT be "seasonal". We don't want a stream or creek to go dry in mid-summer just when we need it most for the garden or the livestock. Ideally, we would like a well, a spring and a pond...but dream on, right? As long as we are dreaming, we'd LOVE for the property to have a stream suitable to set up a micro-hydro power plant so we can be completely off-grid!
2) A mix of hardwood and open clearings.I do not want land that has been clear cut and then pines planted.We need open areas to expand for gardens, a hay field and grazing pasture for the livestock.
3) Land must be able to be certified as organic.That means NO CHEMICALS, pesticide, herbicide, fertilizer, etc, have been applied to the land within the last 20 years. Yes, we are picky.
4) Ideally, we'd like to have some hills on the property. Not HUGE hills, but neither I nor the Darlin' Man like completely flat land. I think having some hillsides to cut into to maybe put in a cheese cave or a mushroom growing area would be nice.
5) Be away from interstates or major highways by at least 20 miles.
6) Nowhere near a military base, nuclear power plant, chemical factory or other *target* or pollution source.
And that's just the top six.....
We have found a few places that we are giving serious consideration to, but are still looking.
Yeah, big wish list. How big is yours?